An engineering marvel, the 4,260 ft. span linking
Brooklyn to Staten Island took 5 Yrs to build and required the labor of
more than 12,00 workers.
About 30 civilian TBTA workers comprise the maintenance
crews, Electricians, Plumbers, Painters and those who plow the snow,
fill the potholes & change the 700 light bulbs on the span. Ever since
construction began in 1959, the Verrazano has been a neighborhood source
of curiosity & wonder.
- The Verrazano was designed by Othmar Ammann, who had
previously designed the Triboro , Whitestone, Throgs Neck,
George Washington & Bayonne Bridges.
- The road deck in the center of the bridge rises & falls
12 feet between winter & Summer
- At 4,620 Ft. between towers, the Verrazano was the
longest suspension bridge in the world when it opened in the
1964. It held that distinction for 17 Yrs. It is still the
longest in the U.S. but there R now bridges with longer main
spans in Japan, Turkey, Denmark & Britain.
- In 1964, the toll for cars was .50 in each direction.
Now the $8.oo toll is collected only from the westbound
vehicles ($7.oo for E-Z Pass & $4.oo for Staten Island
residents with E-Z Pass).
- Each tower weighs 27,ooo tons & is held together with 3
million rivets & 1 million bolts. Together, they contain as
much steel as the Empire State Building.
- Each of the 4 Cables, which measure 7,205 Ft. long & 36
inches in diameter, was made from 143,ooo miles of pencil -
thin wire - more than 1/2 the distance to the moon if
laid end to end.
- It's the Starting point each year for the New York City
- A total of 17.6 million vehicles crossed the bridge in
its 1st full Yr. of operation. More than 71 Million vehicles
crossed the bridge in 03
|The bridge was named after Giovanni da Verrazano
who in 1524 was sent out by the French to sail up the east coast
of North America from Florida to Cape Cod. He desired to see
what the area must look like so he explored the mouth of the New
York Harbor. It was after him that the bridge was named. He was
the first European Navigator to enter the New York Bay.